Well as my last post for some reason decided to not show the images for my game merch packaging project, I'm gonna have to upload them again.
Once again, here are the box net designs for my special edition game sleeve and action figure boxes.
Also, I made this projust tie in with the other, using the setting I had created to design the merch packaging for.
Right okay, actually, it seems the file size of my box nets is far too uber for this website, so if you really want to see them and you can be bothered, heres a link to my DA where the box nets can be found:
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
As I seem to have neglected my blog for quite some time, I should probably ramble a bit more about what I've been doing as its coming to the end of semester II.
I've pretty much finished both of my main projects now, and have a fair bit of work to back up the outcomes of both. But still, I can't help but panic that I've done everything wrong when I look through it all again...
For one of my projects I wanted to generate some conceptual design for a race of characters based around a certain theme. I chose to go with a "deep-sea" sci fi setting, for a supposed game called "Abyssal". After digging through images of lobsters, squids and other gribblies I started to scribble some stuff down which ultimately led to three final designs of the different species of the 'abyssal' race, and a host of vehicles, weapons and architecture to support the imagery and feel of the race. Anyway, as talking about my doings isn't really my strong point, I'm just gonna show you guys some of the bits I've been working on for this project...
For the other project I looked into the merchandise available for games, and researched packaging for action figures and special edition game sleeves to produce some mock-up designs for both. As I have never really done anything like this before, I found it to be a bit of a challenge seeing as my mathematical ability is pretty much non-existent...
But anyway, I'm gonna show the final box-net designs for my figure boxes and special edition game sleeve, and hopefully on friday if all printing and sticking things to things goes well, I'll have some actual mock-ups made to show... Something will go wrong I'm sure of it.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Seeing as I've slipped from keeping this up to date with what I'm doing, I thought I'd post something I've been trying out which I think has been successful...
I've been playing around with textures in my character concepts, not only as a method of enhancing the aesthetic of the design, but also as a tool to speed up the design process. I have tried it out on a couple of quick concepts for a sea creature, in order to quickly get a transluscent and mottled effect on the skin without spending ages trying to achieve this with layer upon layer of low-opacity paint. Considering these are just some quick rough concepts, I think it really helped to add some depth quickly and easily, and gave me more of an idea of what direction the look of this character should be heading.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
I've been practicing with Maya a little more, and I managed to put together a half decent sci-fi cityscape, which I planned on using in photoshop to paint over, to get some nice shadows and realistic perspective etc... However I decided it would be clever to play around with the lighting, and now every time I come to render my work, it comes up totally black. I've tried resetting to default lighting, but it just ain't having it. Anyway, in the mean time I attempted to further my techniques in photoshop by trying out a little portrait work. I've never done this before, and it has showed me that using reference material is incredibly valuable when it comes to getting realistic lighting and shadow effects.
Friday, January 29, 2010
I've been playing around with Maya a little more, and I've put together a basic robot. I'm not too sure if its finished yet or not, I may add a little more to it, the coil thing in the background is something I put together with the intentions of adding it to the design, but I hit a bit of an issue as I couldnt work out how to connect the objects making the coil together. Hopefully I can figure this out unless I'm going totally down the wrong path...
Anyway, once it is finished I'll have a go at mapping it and see what I come up with.